Let me just preface this, disclaim it, and mostly make it more than abundantly clear, anything that follows in this post is directed mostly at me. If you find that some of it applies, that's OK with me.
But I am not standing here pointing fingers at the world, just asking a handful of questions.
So imagine with me for a minute. You are walking down the street, and there on the corner is a "Tell your gut honest truth about your Faith, your real, real Faith" machine. (Yes, the name is still working its way through the marketing department.) And you think, "hey, I've got a couple of extra minutes, I'll hop in. I've been to church a bunch recently - feeling pretty good about my Faith."
So you hop in the machine, and out pops a sheet of plain paper with a handful of questions. The only catch is that because you are in this "Faith, your real, real Faith" machine you have to answer the real, real truth. Not the "Sunday School answer," or the "my pastor/deacon/elder, etc. asked answer," but the "I am in this stupid machine and no one will know except me, and probably I am afraid to tell myself" answer.
And it really boils down to...are we as "church," and am I as "Christian" living the life I want to think I am, or am I just...not.
So again, these are mostly for me. (big breath)
- When was the last time that you were really, really, really intimately involved in leading someone to a life changing faith in Jesus Christ? (note to self...this could be painful...)
- Do your neighbors/co-workers/acquaintances know more about you/your faith than just "there is something different about him?
- Are you really, really, really using the gifts that God gave you, or just "serving in the nursery once a month?"
- Are you really, really, really honest about "big questions?" (mostly about the heartaches and mistakes in your life) Or are you just content to slather on some good church talk and forget about it.
- When was the last time that you wrote a letter to the editor, or made some other public type of statement about how your faith intersects with life/social issues? (boycotting Disney World does not count, especially if you kept watching ESPN the whole time)
- Has God ever nudged you to do something "uncomfortable" and you didn't write it off as the results from bad Mexican food?
- Assuming you have at least one copy of "The Purpose Driven Life" nearby...what is your purpose? What are you doing about it? What have you done about it in the last six months?
- Do you really, really, really pray for people when you say you will?
- Do your kids see/hear you pray? As often as they see you read the paper/watch TV/work on the computer?
- Do you keep track of what God is doing in you/around you/through you? (in spite of you???)
This is the list I am going to chew on for a few days.
I am open to suggestions on other important things I have missed.